Many people dream of becoming a citizen of the United States, which lets individuals enjoy all the privileges extended by the law and government of this country. Once you successfully complete the naturalization process, you can enjoy the benefits that American citizenship grants for those born and in residing in the United States. The naturalization process an elaborate and detailed process, which requires extensive knowledge of immigration laws in the United States.
The immigration attorneys at Gomez & Uzcategui wield the experience and knowledge to help foreign nationals obtain American citizenship. We offer shrewd legal counsel and walk our clients through every step of the process.
The naturalization process is for those who were born in the United States, or those whose parents are U.S. citizens. The knowledgeable immigration lawyers at Gomez & Uzcategui are here to help, whether you need to ensure that all your documents are in order, review the application for citizenship, or are looking for advice as you prepare for your interview with the USCIS.
The requirements for applying for U.S. citizenship includes the following:
- The applicant must have lived in the country for five years as a permanent resident. If he/she is married to a U.S. citizen, he/she must have been a permanent resident for at least three years.
- The applicant must have resided in the United States for three or five years.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old.
- The applicant must not have held residence with a foreign country in the duration of time that he/she held permanent residence in the United States.
- The applicant must have a clean criminal record.
- He/she needs to possess the ability to read, write, and speak English.
- The applicant should be aware of U.S. history and the knowledge of government in the United States.
- The applicant must take the oath of allegiance to the flag of the United States, in addition to accepting the principles of the Constitution of the United States.
Contact us, the experienced immigration attorneys at Gomez & Uzcategui can assist you with any step of the process as you seek to become a United States citizen.